Thursday, April 10, 2014

Labor & Birth Story

Our Super fast labor and birth story! 
Wednesday April 2nd, was my last OB visit. We had scheduled an induction for Wednesday April 9th at 39 weeks. The reason for being induced was having Factor V blood clotting disorder and being on blood thinners during pregnancy, they wanted the blood thinners to be out of my system for so long before going into labor. At my appointment, I was between 4&5cm dilated and 50% effaced.

It all started Friday April 4th. I was having contractions on and off all day. We went in that night to get checked out. I was hooked up to monitors and was between 4&5cm still 50% effaced. So no change from Wednesday and was sent home. My doctor called later, told me to stop my taking my thinners and moved my induction to Tuesday April 8th at 12am. 
I was so uncomfortable all weekend. Sunday night I felt so much pressure, it was hard to even walk! I went to bed that night and woke up at 5:30am with horrible cramps. I was in and out of the bathroom for over an hour with bloody mucus. I tried to lay back down to get some sleep, which didn't happen. My husband jumped out of bed and got dressed, he was ready to leave right away but I was scared to go in and be sent home again! Finally at 7:00am we arrive at the hospital. They brought me back right away and checked me. I was 6cm and 90% effaced contractions every 3 min. 

Doctor came and broke my water at 8:30am. Right after that, I was begging for the epidural! Even though I had stopped taking my blood thinners Friday, they had to check my blood before getting the epidural. By the time the anesthesiologist came in, I was screaming "he's coming!"

All I could remember is I kept screaming "it burns" 
They checked me and the baby was crowning. I told them I had to push and that I couldn't stop it. So many people ran into the room. They tried to tell me to not push because the doctor wasn't their. But my body took control and pushed no matter what. It was crazy and amazing at the same time how I had no control over my body what so ever. 

I pushed twice before his head was out. By that time I was done and did't want to push anymore. I had to stop to catch my breath. I told the nurse that I couldn't do it anymore and that I was done. Then my body took over again and pushed once more. He came out so fast! I was so relieved after that! It was like the pain was instantly gone. My doctor didn't make it to deliver baby but finally made it to deliver the placenta.

Eli Joseph was born at 9:30am April, 7th 2014. Weighing 6lbs 12oz 20inches long. Total of 4 and a half hours of labor and 3 pushes! He came out the day before our induction! I guess he decided he did not want to be induced which I was glad because neither did I! I had my all natural labor and delivery like I wanted! I was an amazing experience! He latched on right away and is a pro breast feeder! 

We came home the very next day! Our other little man loves being a big brother and a super helper to mommy! Postpartum recovery is going great!


  1. How do you feel about your birth story? I think everyone has termed the crowning till the baby comes as "the ring of fire." Did you scream too? My husband thought I was dying! But it wasn't as bad as I expected. Having gone through it would you use the epidural if you did it again?

  2. What a great story! Reading good ones like this makes me less nervous.

  3. What a great story :) I am glad you got to deliver naturally.... :) They do say the second labor and delivery is quicker...and it definitely was for you!

  4. Wow! Congrats. Glad you had a healthy baby. I sure hope that my second one is faster than the first!!